Steve Losty is an experienced investment banker with extensive M&A transaction origination and execution experience across a broad range of sectors. Steve acted as the lead banker in a significant number of strategic alternatives, buy-side and sell-side M&A and capital structure advisory assignments in excess of $100 Billion USD. Most recently, Steve served as Managing Director of Investment Banking at CIBC World Markets Inc. Steve’s M&A experience includes Retail & other Diversified, Metals & Mining, Agriculture, and Financial Institutions sectors. Before that he held the position of Director of Investment Banking at Dresdner Kleinwort Wassertein in London, England. Steve’s distinguished career also includes stops at Schroders in London and RBC Capital Markets in Toronto. Steve was honorably named to Bishop’s University’s “Top 10 after 10”, a program designed to highlight the achievements of Bishop’s finest alumni who have graduated within the last ten to twenty years
Steve holds a Bachelor of Business Administration, Honours from Bishop’s University, and is registered with the Canadian Securities Institute having completed the Partners, Directors and Senior Officers Course.
Selected transaction experience:
- Mitsubishi Corporation’s $5.4 billion acquisition of a 24.5% interest in Anglo American Sur S.A.
- Rio Tinto plc’s $45 billion acquisition of Alcan
- Sale of Stelco to United States Steel Corporation for $2.0 billion
- Sale of Legacy Hotels REIT to a consortium led by the Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec for $2.4 billion
- Advised Wal-Mart Stores Inc. on its approx. €6 billion publicly-announced offer for Safeway plc and subsequent acquisition of stores from WM Morrison Supermarkets
- Advised Clariant AG on its public acquisition of BTP Plc, €1.9 billion
- Advised NTL Inc. on its acquisition of Cablecom AG, €3.6 billion
- Advised Nomura International on the sale of William Hill to Cinven and CVC Capital Partners, €1.2 billion
- Advisor to Stakis plc on its sale to Ladbroke Group plc, €2.0 billion
- Successful pitch to The Littlewoods Organisation plc for the role of Retained Financial Advisor
- Advised BCE Inc. on the disposal of Bell’s Electronic Business Solutions unit to MPACT Immedia in exchange for a 65% stake in MPACT, $547 million
- Advised NOVA Corporation on its merger-of-equals with TransCanada Pipelines and spin-off of NOVA Chemicals, $12.1 billion
- Advised Wascana Energy Inc. on its successful defense against Talisman Energy’s hostile bid and subsequent sale to white knight Canadian Occidental Petroleum, $1.9 billion